Friday, August 17, 2007

Blue car - Teardown Pt 1

So, a few weeks ago, my Father expressed some interest in helping me work on the Neons. He seemed both sincere and quite sober. I hope he wasn't bluffing, or using reverse psychology. Because one day I ambushed him and asked if he'd help me strip the interior out of the blue car aka: Blue. Foolishly, he said yes.

He came over one Saturday afternoon, and after many hours of wrenching, drinking beer, wrenching some more, scratching our heads, eating some BBQ chicken, yet more wrenching, some cutting, swearing, and at least one episode of "sledge hammering", the interior was barren.

I don't have many pictures of the days events, but here's what I managed to get. They don't quite capture the 8+ hrs of work, but trust me - it was a long day.





BEFORE-ISH


By now we've cut the cage out - which despite all my fretting and planning, was the easiest part of the whole job. We cut in four semi-strategic places and when I jiggled it to see if it would move, it literally collapsed into the center of the car.
By the way, that's my Dad - he's likely wondering where his day went so horribly wrong.
Note that the dash is still in place - this will take us the remainder of our evening to remove.






Done and done! The dash is gone. All that's left is to pull out the wiring harnesses, strip off the suspension and send the shell to the scrap yard.

Easier said than done, I'm afraid...

No comments: