Monday, October 29, 2007

A dash of color

All these paint fumes have made me goofy. Want proof? Ok. I decided to paint the dashboard panels of the Neon.
I can't really explain why I decided to do this. It's a purely cosmetic, and needless thing to do. After all, this is supposed to be a race car - I wouldn't even have the stock dashboard if the rules didn't force me to. So what's the deal?
The original idea came to me when I was driving Greg's car in a co-driver race. His dashboard is the stock gray color, and if the sun was blaring down, the glare off of the dash reflection was visible in the windshield. Not enough to block my vision, but enough to be distracting and make me think "When I build a car, maybe I can eliminate that"
As I was prepping the dash panels to go back in after I painted the interior (see my last post) I figured it was a perfect time to give it a shot. I have this great stuff called PlastiDip


It's a rubber coating that comes in a spray can - very handy stuff for rubber coating tools. It's also got a nice flat, textured finish. Perfect for dashboards? We'll see. It took an extra 15 minutes and looks pretty good so far.


Here's a comparison between the old color and the new. I think it's better - hard to tell though.


I think I'm done painting things now.

No comments: